Dial-In Access with Windows XP Home
Here are the dial-up instructions for computers using Windows XP Home Version using the University of Richmond as the ISP.
- Click "Start," and then click "Control Panel."
- Control Panel appears, under Pick a category, click on "Network and Internet Connections."
- Once Network and Internet Connections appears under Pick a task, choose "Create a connection to the network at your workplace."
- When New Connection Wizard appears, click on the radio button for "Dial-Up connection." Then click "Next."
- Under ISP Name insert "U of R." Click "Next."
- Type the access number "282-2077" in the Phone number. Click "Next."
- Check the box "Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop." Click "Finish."
- Close Network and Internet Connections.
- When the Connect U of R panel appears, type your NetID in User name box. In the Password box type your U of R password. Click on "Properties."
- When the U of R Properties appears, on the General tab make sure that the Use dialing rules and Show icon in notification area when connected. Click "Dialing Rules."
- If you have call waiting or any other controls on your phone line, click "Edit." If not, Click "OK" and go to step 13.
- If you have call waiting, check "To disable call waiting dial" and in the pulled down box to the right choose "*70." Click "OK" twice until the U of R Properties appears.
- Click on "Networking." Make sure there are checks in the following boxes: Internet Protocol, Client for Microsoft Networks, and (gray) QoS Packet Schedules. Click "OK."
- Click "Dial."
- Once the connection has been established, click on your browser to search the Web.