Dial-In Access with Windows XP Pro
The following are instructions to assist University of Richmond Faculty, Staff and Students to connect the internet using the University as an ISP for Windows XP Professional operation system.
- Click "Start," and then click "Control Panel."
- Control Panel appears, under Pick a category, click on "Network and Internet Connections."
- Once the Network and Internet Connections panel appears, under the "Pick a Control Panel" icon, click on "Network Connections."
- When New Connection Wizard appears, click on the radio button for "Dial-Up connection." Then click "Next."
- Under ISP Name insert "U of R." Click "Next."
- In the box for Phone number type "282-2077." Click "Next."
- Check the box "Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop." Click "Finish."
- When the Connect U of R panel appears type your NetID in User name box. In the Password box type your U of R password. Click on "Properties."
- When the U of R Properties appears, on the "General" tab make sure that the "Use dialing rules" and "Show icon in notification area when connected" are checked. Click "Dialing Rules."
- If you have call waiting or any other controls on your phone line, click "Edit." If not, click "OK" and go to step 12.
- If you have call waiting, check "To disable call waiting dial" and in the pulled down box to the right choose "*70." Click "OK" twice until the U of R Properties appears.
- Click on "Networking." Make sure there are checks in the following boxes: Internet Protocol, Client for Microsoft Networks, and (gray) QoS Packet Schedules. Click "OK."
- Click "Dial."
- Once the connection has been established, click on your browser to search the Web.